Wednesday, May 10, 2006

2006 Mekong River Swim

Wen our New Zealand friend suggested to us a few weeks ago that we join a group of crazy expats wanting to swim the width of the Mekong River, I immediately said: "Sounds like a laugh, let's do it!"

It was only when we got home that Laura reminded me of a rather important fact, namely that I can't swim. Well, I can 'flap' and maybe even 'paddle', but hardly to the degree required to get me 600m across the Mekong. In the absence of talent, I decided to rely on humour, showing up to the charity event with an inflatable pink rubber ring around my waist.

On arrival, I quickly realised there would be reprecussions for my chosen course of action. Firstly, Laura did not hesitate to desert me for other friends (who were also not to keen on being seen with the pink rubber ring man) and second of all, there was no one else relying on humour. Everyone else had talent and was there to swim seriously, sans the silly costume.

In the end, I suceeded in floating and paddling about halfway across the river before being rescued by a boat which was taking in other swimmers who had over-estimated their swimming abilities. Laura got about 2/3 of the way across before hailing the same boat. By this time, we were on speaking terms.

In the end, we came a not too respectable joint-92nd out of about 1o0 and managed to raise some money for WWF (pandas, not wrestlers) who are trying to save the remaining freshwater dolphins of the Mekong River. Go to www.bongthom.com/MekongRiverSwim/ if you want to find out more.

Next year, I'm swimming in a full, lime green frog suit. Anyone with me?

2 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice ring !? A miracle - 300M when you can't swim (that's not bad)

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh bro, you had me rolling with laughter at that one. you are...'unique' shall we say. (evidence that your are adopted is ever-growing)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home